Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Additional Assignment #2

How Kids Teach Themselves By: Sugata Mitra

  Children are amazing and are sometimes not given credit for how smart they truly are. What Sugata does is prove just that. He sets children up with computers with high-speed internet to show how they can learn without instructions and teach others how to do something. Without ever seeing or using a computer before and not knowing what the internet was, they figured out how to browse, record themselves and play it back, play instructional games. He gives perfect examples on how motivated learners can teach themselves regardless if they are adults or children. I believe that children are more apt to learning and teaching themselves than most adults. Adults are most of the time already set in there ways and hard to change their ideas. Children are creative   and are into everything. In order for students to teach themselves, there has to be nobody there to instruct them on how to do something. They have to be in an environment where it is either they learn for themselves or not at all and most people will learn and teach themselves. Internet plays a big part in learning. It is how you connect with people and things all over the world. Without it there would be no contact.
  I believe that anyone who is motivated to learn will learn. They will go to all ends trying to figure it all out and will not stop until they do. I would motivate someone to learn by giving them something that interest them. If it is interesting they will want to learn more about it, but if it is not then they more than likely will not care. I am motivated to learn because I love children and want them to have the best opportunities in life that they can get and it start with grade school. I have to be a great teacher in order for them to have a good education. I have to have a good education in order to be a great teacher and that starts with being a motivated learner. 
  Teachers play a major role in their students life. They are with them all day long. It is important to have a good teacher/student relationship because if you do not it affects the students by not wanting to listen or not going to the teacher when they need help. 
The most important point that I took out of this video is not limiting a student. Expect more from them because they are smart and their brains are like sponges. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie,

    I just finished watching that TED talk, and all I can say is WOW. My class has done projects with TED presentations in the past, but Mitra's talk is by far the most interesting one I have seen. So thanks for sharing that :)

    I also wanted to say that I agree strongly with your post. I have a younger sister (5th grade) and she never ceases to amaze me with the insight and knowledge that she has. I feel that the pure inquisitiveness that children have is often ignored by teachers (though I think you will be an exception!)because they think giving their students step by step directions is the best way for their students to be successful. This may be true in the short term, but don't we all learn more from our mistakes?

    All in all, great post!

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali,
    Thanks for your comment. I'm trying to take all this in about ways to teach children. I hope I will be a good teacher that can inspire the students to be motivated learners. I want kids to like my class, but still get something out of it.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete