Monday, October 18, 2010

Blog Post 8

1. Richard Miller: This Is How We Dream Parts 1 & 2
  Mr. Miller was talking about change in how literature has changed and how it is continuing to change. He introduces knew ways that he is learning to write articles and books using the internet and only that. There is so much information there that is accessible and he believes that is should be taken advantage of and I completely agree. He also makes the point that books are going slowly drifting out of the circle. Multimedia writing also gives the options of video, photos, etc. Having those options give more room for explanation of the topic.
  I wish that I could say that I am ready for multimedia writing, but unfortunately I am not yet. There are a lot of things I have to learn before I can put together something like he was showing. I have no doubt that multimedia writing is in our future. I also have no doubt that my students will be capable of multimedia writing.
2. The Chipper Series, EDM 310 For Dummies
  The first one I watched was The Chipper Series. It was a great video and very creative. I liked everything except for its repetitive script. It shows that you should always take your work seriously, because if you do not you could end up with a job that you don't like. You should work as hard as you can and do the best you can the first around, so you do not have to start at square one again. The second video assigned was Edm for dummies which was very entertaining. We are encouraged to think outside the box and use our imaginations and this video is the prime example of how you do that.
  People can take several ideas from these videos to help them with their movies and podcasts. I personally would not have thought of either of these. It shows students examples of creativity along with showing them that you don't have to go by the book.
3. Compare and Contrasts of Critiques of Smartboards 
  These two Critiques of Smartboards blogpost are completely against smartboards in classrooms. The first one was Why Smartboards are a Dumb Initiative. He argues that smartboards are not replacing something that is broken, it is just making it more expensive. Also, he argues that Administrators need to be able to show in numbers objects that they have bought. Although he makes a good argument that you should not replace something that is not broken, Smartboards are an efficient way to do lectures. You can go ahead and have you lectures notes already completed before class and saved which makes class go by more smooth and quicker than having to write and erase the entire class period. It is more efficient, I think.
  The second one is Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards. This post was more along the lines of a tangent. He clearly states his opposition to Interactive Whiteboards. He believes that they serve absolutely no purpose in the classroom other than being an expensive object that can be shown off by Administrators at meetings. He argues that the Administrators put them in their classes and does not even evaluate the progress of them and how that are helping classes.Here is a blog I found that is Pro- Interactive Whiteboards, Teachers Love Smartboards. The title tells it all.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Leslie,
    I enjoyed reading your post.I like the video with Ricard Miller This is how we Dream.He showed so much that can be very useful in the present as well as our future.It was very informational.I have to agree with you I dont think I'm prepared for Multimedia just yet, but I am willing to learn it when the time comes.I see it in the future the way technology is rapidly changing now days.I look forward to reading more of your post.Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is more than multimedia writing. Dr. Miller is talking about a whole new way of reading, writing, and educating in general. He is envisioning what I believe we are headed for, an entire new concept of literacy. And as Dr. Miller indicated the pedagogy to teach and learn in this way has not even been invented yet. But, we are working on it. All of us in education are currently engaged in this educational/technological revolution whether we like it or not. Will you embrace it? I hope so. I know I do. It is an exciting time to be involved in education. SS

    ReplyDelete