Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Blog Post 3

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
As a college student, I take about 13 hrs. a semester, so 13 hours of school a week. I work 30 hours a week at a daycare to pay my half of the utilities that my friend and I share. By the time that I get home, it is already 6:45 and haven't even started my homework yet and when I get through with that it is already 10:30-11:00 and I have to get up at 5:45. So this video depicts my schedule very well. I know that it has to be done and know there is nothing that I can do about it. You just have to suck it up and deal with it. Especially during the hard times. I am NOT the type to give up either.
There's nothing that really needs to be added. It already gives a very good description of college life. If I would add something it would be something about students that are parents as well as students and full-time employees.

"It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines
A teacher is someone who strives to do everything possible to help the students understand everything they need to know to accomplish what they have to. That includes making sure they understand the material. I have sat in on classes and observed them. I would grade the students tests and would give them to the teachers. They would be so frustrated because the students were not successful. They never failed to say that "I have taught this material over and over and yet they are still getting it wrong." Teachers have to be able to learn different ways to approach different students and to do that they have to be learner. I agree with her on that subject.
What I can not fathom is why deprive students of the ability to learn new and creative things by not supporting the use of technology. School is not school today without technology. Students have to be equipped with the knowledge of technology before college or they will be in serious trouble. Granted there has to be teachers that have a passion for teaching and learning, but their has to be technology in place.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technology Illiterate Teacher?
I could not have said it better myself. I may not be the brightest when it comes to technology...yet... but I am getting there. I have a goal to learn as much as I can in EDM 310 and take it with me along with adding on to that knowledge. I used to be curious as to why teachers have to take so much of their specific field of study, and I now know that the educators have to be a step ahead of the students to be able to teach them. That now makes me wonder how can you be ahead of your students when you are decades behind with technology? It makes no sense. Technology is not going to go away. It is just going to evolve and grow. There's no reason to keep depriving yourself and your students the knowledge of it.


Gary Hayes Social Media Count
That was unbelievable. At the rate the count is going now, I cannot imagine what it will be like 2 years from now when I'm a teacher. There will more than likely be something else that is knew. There is no way of knowing what it will be like, it is unpredictable. What I do know is technology will be the center of it all.





4 comments:

  1. Your commitment to work and school is 69 hours a week. That's about 10 hours a day. A little time for yourself. But not much!

    I can't understand why we deprive students of amazing tools for learning either! And I get very upset just thinking about it. That is why we take the approach we do in EDM310.

    We all have to be members of a learning community - students and teachers alike. We will have to learn from each other to survive.

    Like a bolt of lightning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I do get a little time for myself on the weekends because I try to do most of my school work during the week, and your right it's not that much.
    If I only knew about half of the stuff I have already learned in this class, I would have been using it all along. I wish I would have been taught this before.
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine working a 30 hour week in addition to school! You are superwoman. I think it would have been great to talk about students' other commitments, like family or the percentage of adult students, in the KSU video. Also, you are so right about the social media count. Who knows where we will be in 2, 5, or 10 years! The scary thing is that the great majority of teachers currently in the classroom completed school before most of these thing even EXISTED! We certainly have a leg up, but I think it will be important for us to encourage other educators who might be intimidated by the technologies we are learning now. Great job on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hillary,
    Thank you for the comment and as much as I wish I was superwoman it still exhaust me. We should encourage teachers to use more technology in the classrooms. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete