Thursday, September 30, 2010

Blog Post 6

The Network Student by: Wendy Drexler
A network students needs a teacher for several different reasons. They are there to guide and instruct students on how to build their own network and to take the initiative to learn about different educational opportunities. Teachers are also there to help students when they are stuck on a task and to show them how to communicate like a soon to be professional. They try to teach the students not to believe everything they hear the first time they hear it. Research and find out if it is true or not. Instructors want to show the students how they can continue this information they learned in their own working environment.
After listening to what the video was about, I thought about how similar her class and Dr. Strange's class are. Dr. Strange has designed his class so that if anyone needed help all they had to do was call one person and you would get at least five responses, or you could email him. I don't know about you, but every time I needed help I got a response in less than five minutes. That really makes the students know that the instructor is trying to help them, even though he does not tell you exactly how to do it. It is simply a way to get students to start learning on their own with the technology that is available to them.
Another way I can relate this to EDM310 is the video, Did You Know. It had all kinds of startling statistics, but then Dr. Strange showed us that they were comparing something that wasn't even comparable. If that makes sense. He wants us to research material before believing all that was seen. I believe it would be very interesting to teach a network student. It would be a task, but would be worth it.

A 7th Graders Personal Learning Environment
I thought her PLE was awesome. She is a very bright 7th grader. She has tons of information on her PLE. I liked her Glogster on the Box Jellyfish. Her PLE is like mine because we both use Symbaloo. I mainly like it because it looks neat. The only difference as of right now is she has more information than I.


The Machine Is Changing Us
It was actually kind of scary for me to think back to as far as I remember to see if I could relate or justify his claims and I could. The "meh" version of whatever, I know I used. Plus, I even remember using the 2001 version of "whatever, I'll do what I want." I never thought that what I said 10-12 years ago would be looked back on as a trend and not a good one. Narcissists surround us and most everyone is included. I do not think that anyone could say with all honesty that they are not a narcissist. He was right, when he quoted Marshall McLuhan "We shape Our Tool and thereafter our tool shape us." People invented the television and from then on people went from being carefree to being self-involved by watching and listening to the t.v. The people who decide what is being played has a huge impact on society. Social Media is changing what it means to be ourselves. It is changing how we talk to others, who we talk to, and what you are talking through networking. He and his team of undergraduates are in the process of doing a study on YouTube. They did a series of videos to start out. They came to realize that they were nervous, and somewhat embarrassed talking to themselves and not to someone else. This I can relate to because in EDM310 will have to create podcasts and such. For Project 8, my group did an audio and I was nervous just doing that. I was even more embarrassed because I had to sit and listen to it. I don't know about ya'll, but I was squirmed in my chair the entire time just having to listen to myself.  The good thing about videos is that it helps people who are quiet or self-conscious to show their true selves to where in person they cannot.
There are negative and positive things about networking, but if used right it is very useful. Social media is a great way to distant people, but also has a way of bringing people together for encouragement and for anyone who just needs someone there to talk to. This was a great video

2 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job connecting the network class to EDM 310. Keep working on your PLN!!! I think once you get started it will be a great tool for you to keep things organized.

    Good post Leslie

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephen, I have added a few things to it such a blogs that I'm following. I haven't quite grasped the concept of putting it all together and what all I should add to it, but I'll get going.

    Thanks again,

    Leslie Ketchum

    ReplyDelete