Saturday, November 27, 2010

Additional Assignment #3

Sir Ken Robinson's: Changing Education Paradigms
  This video was amazing. Not only the message, but the art as well. I like some of what he says about ADHD. I do believe children are getting so distracted about all the other fun stuff that they do lose track of what they are suppose to doing which is schoolwork, because sometimes it does get boring. I do believe that students may sometimes need help with focusing, but not to the point that they are not all there. Meaning, not to the point that they are so drugged up they can not think straight. It does happen, because I have seen it. He states that the system of education is modeled after Industrialization, age group, bells, etc.  I have never thought of that, but he's right. I can see how schools are like industrialized factories.
Another thing that caught my attention in this video was Divergent Thinking. They completed a  longitudinal test on a group of children starting at the age of a  kindergarten student which scored at 98% then tested that same group every three to five years until the age of 15 and their divergent thinking deteriorated.
He makes a point that I agree with and that is "Collaboration is the stuff of growth." Sir Ken says that, "Great learning happens in groups." I believe this is true because when you put a group of minds together not only do you have an array of ideas, each person has their own talents. For example, one person could be the artist, one the narrator, idea generator, designer, author, and sound effects. All these positions are just as important as the other. Thats why I believe in collaborative projects because their are to many positions for just one person to fill. If I were to choose a position, I would like to be the narrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment