Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Blog Post 10

An Open Letter to Educators By: Morgan Bayda
 This blog post was an eye opener for me. Sadly, it was the truth. I am currently taking five classes and two out of those classes are hour long lectures with no discussion. It is very hard to stay awake in those classes. I think that every class should be discussion because you learn so much more that way. You are hearing it, thinking about it, and having a discussion about it. After doing all that you pretty much know it thoroughly. Discussing something helps me remember better because I have to think about first. I do not know if I would go quite as far as Dan went, but something needs to be done about todays education. There students should be taught more than just facts, there should be more applications involved to better understand





Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home By: Tom Johnson
  This post was a story of two teachers. One teacher was upset because another teacher was sending pencils home and apparently doing so causes low test scores. It amazes me how teachers worry so much about test scores and not so much about the students. To me, no two students are the same. Each students learns better in different ways. For example, students can be visual learners, auditory learners, kinesthetic learners, and finally read and write learners. Some students are very smart, but when it come to test they may not do as well. That why I believe that grades are not as important as how well the student participates in class.

My Sentence
Try to be a better person today than I was yesterday and encourage everyone to do the best they can and never give up.



4 comments:

  1. Hey!
    You have made some really great points in this blog. One it really does help to discuss things because if you can explain your point on the situation and back it up then you will understand it. Two, you are right kids learn in all different types of ways we as teachers need to find a way to reach every child. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Leslie!

    I think teachers often focus on the test because that is what administrators demand. Administrators demand good test results because funding is often based on these results. This is one of the major issues that stands in the way of the evolutionary march of education. New reliable ways of demonstrating student performance must be identified and implemented. I personally would like to see more of a portfolio approach. This would involve samples of a students best work over a specified time period. I think this is a much better way to look at what a student can actually do but it would be difficult to implement. What do you think would be a better way than standardized testing? SS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neileigh,
    Thank you so much for you comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Sullivan,
    Thank you for your comment. I like your idea very much. It would show that the students can do it but might not do well on testing. The only draw-back is that it would not show the students' weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete